Monday, June 6, 2011

Feminism...isn't

I am of the generation that was brought up in a relatively traditional home and encountered the emerging feminist movement as I went off to college. My parents were both college-educated westerners, Dad a chemical engineer and Mother in home economics. By the time I went away 'back east' to school, I could use the correct utensil at a formal table setting, model on a runway, make a garment from fabric, cook and bake, fire shotguns and pistols accurately, mount and ride a horse, and a few other things. I never doubted then that I would work outside the home for a while, then settle down and raise a family. Somewhere along the way, that didn't happen.

For a decade, I bought into the nonsense. It is essentially a trap. Any man who doesn't mind that his wife and the mother of his children isn't spending most of her time devoted to him and raising their children to be the very best people they can be -- probably isn't worth marrying. Feminism taught just the opposite -- that men who wanted these things in a partner were just trying to 'keep us down.' Heaven forbid that they may actually want to cherish their wives and children, partner with their spouse to create wonderful children and a home, care for them, provide for them and protect them.

Fast forward thirty+ years. How much better is our country after 3 decades+ of so many children whose mothers entrusted them to strangers for 8+ hours, 5 days a week from the tender ago of six months until they trundled off to college ... or prison? Are we a better educated, more innovative and productive society or are more than 40% of households on food stamps? Are we a generally more charitable or moral society?

Mom and Dad were right. Should have paid more attention. My opinion about the feminist movement is that the only group that gained benefit is the IRS, because now they have more homes with two income earners to tax. I married twice, one divorce which left me single during my prime child-bearing years so never had my own. But I watched my friends and coworkers struggle with home, work and children. The kids were raised by strangers. Some of them were naughty in their teens and later. Many of them did not go on to Ivy League schools like their parents. Some of them were lost and lonely. Same for the parents. Affairs at work, not enough time to devote themselves to their home and their union.

There is nobility in being a HOME-Maker. Learning to live simply enough to live well on one income is an art that American women were good at for a long time. We should consider getting back to the basics, encouraging young women to do so as well. It may not be as exciting in the short term, but I believe it will be much more gratifying in the long term, and better for our communities and our country.

No comments:

Post a Comment